- County Government
- Geographic Information Systems Center (GISC)
Geographic Information Systems Center (GISC)
Communities and Subdivisions Oblique Images in Rural Areas
The Mckinley County GIS Center primary goal is to provide necessary sources like maps, spatial information or accurate GIS data to County Departments on their needs relevant to their work in helping the public including other government offices in the most effective way.
The GIS Center is a service department. Our staff is not directly involved in the operations at Emergency Command Center. For example, we provide necessary tools like maps, aerial photograph and essential information or GPS coordinate locations of homes to Emergency Command Center to help families that need assistance.
Rural Addressing program is one of the primary works of GIS users in the County. This program is always associated with Enhanced 9-1-1 system. Enhanced 9-1-1 or E9-1-1 is a system that links emergency call to the appropriate E9-1-1 answering point (PSAP). Enhanced 9-1-1 address is the "physical" address of a structure. The actual location information that is available to a E9-1-1 call taker. In most cases, "physical" address can be located by the emergency response team quickly. Rural Addressing is very important to our community. Enhanced 9-1-1 system can SAVE LIVES.
County GIS Center Functions and Responsibilities
- Collect GPS data or coordinate pair readings on all assigned addresses for emergency services.
- Analyze, generate and maintain collected GIS data of structures, driveways, roads, cell towers and landmarks within the County.
- Coordinate with Mckinley County Metro Dispatch Authority (Public Safety Answering Point - PSAP), City of Gallup Addressing /Mapping Personnel, State and Local agencies to ensure that GIS data collection and maintenance standards for E9-1-1 purposes conform to New Mexico Statewide Mapping Program and National Emergency Numbering Association (NENA) guidelines.
- Coordinate with Census Bureau on Local Update of Census Addresses, County Boundaries and Annexation (LUCA).
- Assist various government offices within Mckinley County in producing thematic maps showing Land Jurisdiction and GPS data locations for the use in Court hearing.